In Santos, Brazil a new light-rail line was partly opened on 31st of January 2016. Then it ran only limited hours, which was between 09.00 and 16.00. On 10th of April 2016, they extended the service hours so that the service now runs between 07.00 and 19.00.
South East town in Brazil got their Light Rail Transport Finally
Santos, São Paulo is a town where population is at around 433966 in an area of 280.67km². The city got a long coastline and is the home to the famous Coffee Museum, where coffee prices were once negotiated.
Back in 2015 the light-rail project started and now it is completed last week. Now you can take the tram from Barreiros in the west to Porto in the east on totally new railtracks thru the city. It is one of the most important projects for the area by far as the city needs to reduce its polution.
Video of the Light-Rail Construction in Santos, Brazil
Here is the interesting information regarding the history of the Light-Rail construction in Santos, Brazil
- – trial service started in May 2015, full revenue service starting late 2015
- – 31 Jan 2016: revenue service Mascarenhas de Moraes (São Vicente) – Pinheiro Machado (Santos) – limited service hours (09.00 -16.00)
- – 10 April 2016 service extended 07.00 – 19.00
- – 28 Dec 2016: Pinheiro Machado – Bernardino
- – 31 Jan 2017: Bernardino – Porto (except Conselheiro Nébias) and Mascarenhas de Moraes – Barreiros