Since Eurovision Song Contest 2020 was canceled due to Covid-19, EBU made an alternative Eurovision show where the participants were honored in a 2-hour special. The show was broadcasted lived to all Europe and Australia on Saturday 16th May at 8 pm London time. We bring you all the unforgettable moments of this very special Eurovision evening.
- What happened in the show Europe Shine A Light?
- The structure of the show
- Highlights of Europe Shine A Light 2020
- Amazing landmarks in beautiful colors
- Which cities were lighted up in Eurovision Europe Shine A Light?
- Marija Serifovic delivers the most touching song of Europe Shine A Light
- Netta sings Cuckoo – to support mental awareness
- Will there be a Eurovision next year?
- Some unforgettable moments of Eurovision 2020
- Related Eurovision content
What happened in the show Europe Shine A Light?
Although it was not a contest like we are used to in Eurovision, the show was fullpacked with nostalgic moments and new performances by famous Eurovision winners. The show had a nice structure and was built up nicely. With the introduction showing the last year versus this year, everyone understands why EBU had to cancel the contest. It’s sad for the all the performers that had prepared for their performance of their life. Many singers had worked really hard for singing in Rotterdam. This was just a nice way to give them a little gift back.
The structure of the show
The main purpose of the show was to honor the participants of Eurovision 2020. For each artist they used this formula:
- 20 seconds intro showing video clips about the singer or group. There suppose to be a commentator but I guess they had technical problems or the Scandinavian channels chose to not include the comments. I was checking both Norwegian and Swedish TV, but were without any comments
- 30 seconds of the song
- 20 seconds where the singers could say something to their fans
Highlights of Europe Shine A Light 2020
In each section they presented 8 singers. In addition, many famous Eurovision legends were performing (from home, except Duncan):
Amazing landmarks in beautiful colors
What made the performance even more special was that viewers were able to watch landmarks across Europe light up in unison.
“Brothers and sisters, let your love shine a light in every corner of our hearts.” Fans were touched, with one tweeting: “This was so beautiful!” While another commented: “Stunning!”Presented in Mirror
Which cities were lighted up in Eurovision Europe Shine A Light?
Some of the cities with landmarks that were lighted up in Eurovision Europe Shine A light:
- Hamburg, Germany
- Tbilisi, Georgia
- Bucharest, Romania
- Belgrade, Serbia
- Wallis, Switzerland
- Minsk, Belarus
- Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Tallinn, Estona
- Riga, Latvia
- Zagreb, Croatia
- Paris, France
- Jerusalem, Israel
- London, United Kingdom
- Oslo, Norway
- Brussels, Belgium
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Sydney, Australia
Marija Serifovic delivers the most touching song of Europe Shine A Light
Michael Schulte, known for “You let me walk alone” was interviewed before the next music video:
Netta sings Cuckoo – to support mental awareness
Will there be a Eurovision next year?
Finally news about next year. Throughout history, whenever it was hard, we found new ways to get back up, to reunite, to celebrate. Through the power of music. Through the power of stories. Out of millions of stories, there is one we now share. And even if it is hard, we find new ways to tell our story. To open up, to show respect, to love. Together we will get there, one way or another. We will make it happen. We will open up. Open up Eurovision 2021. The countdown has begun. We are very excited about Eurovision in Rotterdam in 2021. Next year they will celebrate a winner, a happy successor to Netherlands’ Duncan Lawrence.