Rocky has been a fictitious hero for decades, but in Edmonton, Canada, today there is a hero named Rocky who is definitely real. just eight years and four legs.

This Rocky, a cross between labrador retriever and husky, is hailed to get a girl of nine years of a river ice cream on Sunday of Easter. Its owner, Adam Shaw, 27, received a similar acclaim.

“If that man and the dog had not been there; just try not to think about that”, said Miranda Wagner, mother of Samara, for nine years, and his sister for 10 years, Krymzen, in an interview with CNN, CTV affiliate.

“I just wanted to give you a big hug and tell you that it is my hero. If it had not been there not should to my girls,”said Wagner. “Doctors said that two more minutes and Samara is gone.”

The heroism of Rocky and Shaw was developed in the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton ice cream on Sunday afternoon. Girls glided on the sled in a park next to the river when they ended up in ice that stretched from the banks of the River, said their father Corey Sunshine, CNN, CBC member.

“What I said was that one of the sleds left the mountain of snow to the ice, trying to return and broke the ice,” said.

Shaw said he was walking on a bridge over the river when she heard screams. When he looked down at the River he saw a girl in the icy water and her sister that it was trying to make.

The time in which Rocky and he ran towards the River, both girls were in the water.


It could get to Krymzen of the ice, but the current carried to Samara, approximately 1.2 or 1.5 meters from the edge of the ice, while his head and out of the water, Shaw said at a news conference Monday.

He asked the girl if he could swim toward it.

“He said that he could not move his arms, which could not move his legs,” said Shaw.


He tried to pull belt of Rocky to it, but did not reach it. Then, while trying to get close, ice gave way under him and his dog.

“He managed to put his front paws on the ice and I pushed her back to be on the ice, then I used the strap and to try to lift me on the ice”, said Shaw.

At this time, Samara had been diverted 50 or 60 yards further down in the River, and even floated in and out of the icy water. Shaw and Rocky ran toward her again, but he was still out of his reach.

“I put the strap around Rocky and I pushed it so to mess in the water, I told him that if he could take his belt, we could return to the ice,” said Shaw.

“He jumped right on his side” and said the girl could put both hands on the belt of Rocky.


“I called him back and he swam toward the ice,” said Shaw, while approaching enough so that he could take the arm of the girl and his dog, to drag them away from the shore of the river.

Fire Department rescue teams arrived shortly after and took to the sisters for treatment.

On Monday, they were at home with her grateful mother, and Shaw and Rocky were honored at the Firehouse; Shaw with a helmet firefighter and Rocky with a bone of giant leather that took from the fire chief, Ken Block, before Block could remove the plastic wrap.

“These two girls are very, very fortunate that a family has so been there and they could intervene”, said Block

Shaw argued not that.


“I think that it is a kind of miracle that everything came out perfectly,” he told CTV.